Thursday, October 21, 2010

Letter to Mayor Joe about the Original Mayor Joe...

Today, Carolina Leigh went on a mission with mommy while Patton was in school. We passed the Harvest Moon Regatta...what a lovely sight. All those boats out there on the gulf on a gorgeous October day. Can't beat it.

Did we stop to gander? No. No time for that. We had to deliver a letter to Mayor Jaworski. Curious as to what it said? Here it is:

Mayor Joe Jaworski
Jaworski Law Firm
305 21st Street, Suite 222
Galveston, TX 77550

Dear Mayor Jaworski,

I hope this finds you well! As I mentioned to you in a previous email, I am sending a copy of the 35th Anniversary edition of Charleston Magazine. For starters, the magazine itself is a beautiful steward of the “holy city” and from looking at it, you’ll see what Galveston’s “Galveston Monthly” and “The Islander” could someday become.

I have marked several sections that may be of interest to you.

The 1st section is a fold out section and contains a time line of the city. You’ll see a distinct “line in the sand” where it marks “before Hugo” and “after Hugo”. Much like Galvestonians refer to “before Ike”, you will be able to see the giant strides the city has made in the wake of our big storm. It is quite amazing to think about it. Today in Marion Square, a huge park in the middle of downtown, there is a bustling farmer’s market every Saturday that offers local produce, food tents, and jumpy castles for the kids. I can remember when you couldn’t even walk through there for fear of drug needles going through your flip flops.

The 2nd section is a section mostly about Mayor Riley, but about other visionaries who have helped shape the city.

Finally, the 3rd section is about Boeing coming to Charleston. It is amazing the impact this company will have on the city and on the state of SC.
I hope you will find this inspirational, as I did. I look around our island daily and see things that could be done to make Galveston a more picturesque, family friendly, classy, and industry worthy city.

It starts with leadership, and the willingness to do the unpopular thing at times. Mayor Riley hasn’t always done the most popular thing…yet he’s been mayor since 1975. People respect him, and he’s earned that by charging through and never taking “no” for an answer. To him, all things are possible and he gets it done.

Best of luck to you during your time as mayor. If you ever need a tour guide in Charleston….twist my arm. I’m the best there is and I’ll drop everything to go there and show you my favorite city in the world.

Warm Regards,



Sarah Sullivan

* I will turn this city into the gulf's version of Charleston YET. * Wink Wink. On that note, I'd like to take this opportunity to wave my hand in spite at Southwest Airlines. Today around 11am they had a fare for $79 round trip from Charleston to Hobby on St. Patrick's Day. All my buds were coming to see me....however....when they went online tonight to book it, the fare went up to $139 each way.

Now that's just not good manners, SW Airlines. You are to go outside, pick a switch, and come in so I can tear your hide.

No comments:

Post a Comment