
FINALLY. It's been 2 years since we redid our house. As you know from the Great Color Debackle of 2010, it was no easy feat...but we made it. We are DONE. Our bedroom is now a nice cool shade called Icicle, courtesy of Sherwin Williams.
Until today, we've never hung one thing in our bedroom. I just couldn't seem to find anything that didn't feel "hotely". Just flat. Manufactured. Canned.
That is until I found these 2 posters. The one above I found at the nautical chart store here in Galveston. It was the perfect compliment to the one below...which has more of a story.

This poster I saw at the "Gateway to Galveston" exhibit at Moody Gardens. I saw it, and had to have it. This was what had been missing from our bedroom. The cool shade of blue would go PERFECTLY with the blood orange colors of life jackets, oars, and this poster. Rustic, yet clean and crisp.
For the sake of protecting the innocent, I am going to leave how I got this poster to be anyone's guess. Let's just say the peeps at Moody Gardens called to say "there's no way to get a copy". That was 2 days AFTER it was hanging on my wall. To those who helped me find it..."thank you".
So the first step was done. Then I went to the Nautical Antiques store and found 2 11 ft. bright orange oars. I had them cut down to 7 feet and they are leaning against my amoir. Perfectly rustic.
What made this so hard was that everything else in our house is coastal. But going with coral this and starfish that in my bedroom just wasn't coming together. It seemed thrown together for some reason. Now we have direction...

Now for the finishing touches. The three boat pictures you see above have 2 other sisters just like them in our bathroom. They were given to Ga Ga (God rest her soul) by pharmaceutical salesmen umpteen years ago. They found them in her house when they were cleaning it out. They were brochures for some kind of drug, and there were stories about each boat...some kind of promotional thing. Mom sent them to me, I had them cut and framed. The stories are on the backs of the frames. Turned out beautiful!!
Yesterday you can imagine my surprise to find this little boat for $10 at Miss Ellie's garage sale. I painted the sail white and there it sits. It's the perfect texture to break up the flat pictures.
The two pillows I found today. Originally, I ordered 3 pillows from this outfit called "Second Wind Sails". They make pillows, bags, and shower curtains from recycled sail boat cloth. Those won't be done for a while, and since we're having people over, I wanted to at least have a little color on the bed.
Hobby Lobby came through once again. These pillows were $12. I bought the strand of rope for $2, tied it on there, and wha-la! Nautical pillows that match perfectly.
Sigh. 2 years and there you have it. Finally I can sleep.
No comments:
Post a Comment