Saturday, April 25, 2009

Luck be a Ladybug


(as seen on my Galveston Daily News Blog "Positively")
Some beaches have hermit crabs. Some beaches have golden flickers in the sand. Some have topless women and bikini clad men, while others have more modest fare. Some beaches have white sand filled with sand dollars, and some have more of a grainy texture. Regardless of what kind of sand or sea life they offer, there is nothing I love more than sticking my toes in the sand for the first time once the weather allows.

I waited for the perfect day. In the spring, the weather is often tricky, leading you to believe it’s warmer outside, only to find out it is windy and cool. Finally, the day came and this time it was going to be even more special than years past. My eight-month-old was joining me and I couldn’t wait to see his little face when his toes hit the gulf water.

We found a great parking spot and started our adventure off on the right foot. The air was thick and sweet with salt, as it should be on inaugural beach day. I lathered my baby boy in Coppertone, one of my favorite smells in the whole world, and had his floppy turtle hat on hand to protect his little strawberry blonde head. He was EXCITED.

After packing a lunch which included a menu of peanut butter and jelly, apples, and the finest baby formula, we made it down to the beach. I rolled out our big oversized towel, set out our picnic and watched as he took it all in with wonderment in his wee eyes.

He stuck his fat baby feet in the sand and looked back at me as if to say “this feels peculiar, mommy, but I like it! I want to dig!” He squinted his eyes through the wind and gazed out over the gulf, watching waves crash, soaking the scene up like a sponge.

As we stuck our hands in the sand and let our legs get splashed by the cold water, I glanced down and saw a red dot crawling up baby boy’s back. It was a ladybug, of all things, and it wasn’t a fluke. There were many more. They visited with us on our towel, in the handprints we left in the sand, and on our legs. They were everywhere, and I had to wonder if Galveston Island was the only place in the world where ladybugs were part of the sea life.

Perhaps the gals came to let us know we’d be ok. The beaches, along with the spirit of the Island, will always be ok. If you don’t believe it, go stick your toes in the sand and listen closely to what lady luck has to say.

Listen to this:
“Luck Be a Lady” by Frank Sinatra
http://www.rhapsody.com/frank-sinatra

1 comment: