Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Smiling Faces, Beautiful Places

Let me just spell out my trip to Charleston: A-W-E-S-O-M-E. From the company, to the weather, it was just plain fab. Now, I WILL say it was harder than ever leaving the babies this time. I cried when I saw them at the airport on Sunday. (Side note: It was surprising I had any tears at all since the pickle, sandwich, and chips I ate at the airport must have had a plethora of salt....I swoll up like a spring Toad on that airplane...)

Here was the trip:

Friday Night:

Leaf, the New old Vickery's. The food and company were incredible and I almost died when I saw the gutted Vickery's. The days of the Orange Push Up shots are gone my friends. Replacing it are very nice outdoor Adirondack furniture, white walls inside, and very cool artwork. The kitchen took so long, not anticipating Spoleto crowds, that our entire bill was taken care of by management.

After dinner, on to Trombone Shorty. I am telling you, here sits his new biggest fan and if he's ever in Houston, I'll be there. Here he is below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq8ZqVTrOFI

On to the Blind Tiger, then home.

Saturday:

Showered and headed out to Caviar & Bananas...a Dean and Deluca type place, but much lighter and more southern. Cibatta bread sammies, fresh succotash, and basil and we were on our way.

After that, we headed to the Farmer's Market, where I had SWEET TEA ICE CREAM. Yes, folks, that needed to be capitalized. They also had Twix flavor, as well as Blackberry Buttermilk. Only in the South I tell you.

We went back to Caviar & Bananas after a long afternoon of shopping on King Street (and running into Ja Ja!) to get sweet treats. I had the smore that was the size of a brownie. Yum.

A quick rest ensued, then Travis and Glenn came over and off to Amen St. we went.

Just let me list the foods here...because again, only in the South: Shrimp corn dogs (shrimp the size of my palm, breaded in corn dog breading, put on a stick, and served with home made spicy mustard and ketchup); calamari (served with ranch poured on top, bacon crumbles, and summer corn); hush puppies with warm honey; a spring pecan salad (I mean...trying to be a little bit good); Wreck Fish (more sustainable than grouper and truly delicious); and last but not least, Lobster & Shrimp risotto.

9 best buds breaking bread and sharing food and old times. What could be better?

Off we went (after being rolled out in wheel barrows) to the Griffin. Truly an old stomping ground. Pictures ensued.

After that, back to the Blind Tiger, then to the Social to see WW's wedding crowd. We were pleasantly surprised to see the bride herself!

By this point it was laaaaate. So we did what any respectful group would, and called Gilroy's to have pizza delivered to BH's. We ate until 3am.

Sunday, I dragged out of bed at 9 and got ready to leave.

What a trip. WHAT A TRIP! For those who have never been, I'm telling you...it's love at first sight/bite. And the cherry on top is that there isn't an unattractive person in the entire city. Can't make it up, folks.


pictures to come...it won't let me post them for some reason at the moment...

No comments:

Post a Comment