Monday, March 14, 2011

Happy St. Patty's WEEK


An homage to one of my favorite bars on EARTH....Tommy Condon's Irish Pub in Charleston, SC. This is a painting (it is ginormous by the way) that hangs in the restaurant and graces their menu (which I have framed at my house) and tshirts, hats, etc. The painting is by John C. Doyle, my favorite Charleston artist.

http://www.johncdoyle.com/

Many a night was spent here as a waitress, as well as a patron. I have stood in the back and whistled, sang, and belted Dixie with the band, Steve Carroll and the Bograts. The night of my rehearsal dinner I sang it on stage to a large Charleston/Galveston crowd.

I spent my 21st (again) birthday here. The bartenders, all long time comrades, were stunned to learn I was just turning 21....ahem.

I was there the night a famous Irish singer, Kathy Durkin, came in with a huge Irish wedding. The men beat the bar in cadence while she sang songs on stage with Steve Carroll, who was in love. He claimed she was the equivalent to the "Irish Dolly Parton". Now that's a big statement.

After one of the best nights in the bar EVER, we walked her back to her hotel, where she graced us with several cd's. I gave one to Steve, along with a note when I left Charleston, written on Texas paper, thanking them for all the memorable nights and Dixie salutes.

That paper still hangs behind them to this day. Love that.

Many a St. Patrick's day was spent serving green beer to men who ate green eggs and ham for breakfast and participated in the parade on King Street. People would pay you $20 just for stickers, beads, etc. You could clear $400 cash on St. Patty's, Half Way to St. Patty's, and the Guinness Toast nights.

Good times.

So, here's to you, Tommy Condon's. I love ya, and my heart and spirit will be with you on Thursday.

Erin Go Braugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment